Dog Registration: You may receive delays in receiving a response due to the fact we've received so many enquiries and our system is playing catching up - rest assured, we're working through these requests as quickly as possible. Check out our dog registration page for more information.

Event planning

Kia whakamahere i tētahi tāpunetanga

If you're planning an event in the Queenstown Lakes District, there are likely to be certain permissions required so please get in touch with us. Detailed below are the recommended steps to follow.

What is an event

Under our Activities in Public Places Bylaw 2023, an event is:

"An organised, temporary activity that takes place on one or more days including a market, pop-up stall, parade, protest, wedding, private function (which is independent of premises), festival, concert, celebration, multi-venue sports event of a significant scale, fun run, marathon, duathlon or triathlon. For the purposes of this bylaw an indoor performance, indoor private function, tasting and sampling activity giveaway, sports practice or training is not an event".

Recommended steps

  • As soon as possible! It’s a good idea to submit your event enquiry as early as you can in advance of your event - this is especially important for large, high profile events and festivals. Organising an event can be stressful but we are here to provide assistance.

  • Tell us about your event by submitting your Online Event Enquiry.

    This allows our events team to understand more about your event and advise you what approvals you may require and information you will need to supply.

    Following your enquiry, you will receive notification from the Events team (within 5 working days) that details any additional information required (with links to relevant application forms).

  • Following your enquiry, we'll be in touch about any permissions you may need (which could include an event permit and/or resource consent).

    An event permit is needed when your event:

    • will be on any public open space like a park, road or the water

    • is a commercial activity

    • could cause damage to public property, the environment or surrounding roads in any way

    • will involve alcohol, excessive noise, pyrotechnics or fireworks

    • will generate any form of waste

    • will put the public and their safety at risk (the event organiser must take out public liability Insurance)

    • needs power and vehicle access

    • has food stalls or vendors (including catering or food trucks)

    • will have large structures like bouncy castles, stages, marquees or signage.

    NB: You may also need a permit if you are holding a wedding ceremony or birthday party on a public open space. Wedding receptions must be held in a private venue.