Black ice is present throughout the network following recent rainfall. We expect it to affect our roads for the rest of the week. Grit trucks are currently patrolling and gritting priority roads and will work through the network as they can. Updates available on our Facebook page.

I have an issue with my accommodation

Sometimes things can go wrong with your flatmates, your landlord, or your accommodation. This page is to help you know your rights, to help prevent problems from arising, and help you know what to do when things go wrong. 

  • The Community Law Manual is written in everyday language, the manual contains over 1000 pages of easy-to-read legal info and comprehensive answers to common legal questions. 

    From ACC to family law, health & disability, jobs, benefits & flats, Tāonga Māori, immigration and refugee law and much more, the manual covers just about every area of community and personal life. 

    It’s for people living in Aotearoa New Zealand (and their advocates) to help themselves. 

  • If you think your landlord isn’t following the rules, contact the Tenancy Services Compliance and Investigations team:  

    0800 836 262 – Tenancy Services 

    Contact the Compliance and Investigations team » Tenancy Services

  • Flatmates are not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, and it can be difficult to resolve disagreements. We recommend signing a flat/house sharing agreement to make sure everyone understands their rights and responsibilities. Here is a template you can use: Flat/house - sharing agreement ( 


    Only landlord-tenant disputes are heard by the Tenancy Tribunal. If there are any issues between tenants or flatmates, you can go to the Disputes Tribunal


Where to get free advice and support

Know where to go if you need free advice or support 

  • The Citizens Advice Bureau and Community Networks  (Upper Clutha) provide free and confidential advice to everyone.

    Both agencies are a one-stop-hub, designed to empower you with the information, options and support that suits your needs.

    They can help with things like tenancy, employment, immigration, family and personal issues, education, health, neighbourhood disputes, consumer rights, budgeting and finance, free legal advice and Justice of the Peace notary services.

  • Happiness House in Queenstown  is a local charity helping our local community by offering social, emotional and practical support.  

    They sometimes have spare blankets and pillows if you are feeling the cold. You are also more than welcome to pop in and heat up your food and sometimes they  may have some soup on the stove.

    Happiness House is a place you can sit down and have a cup of tea, read a book, or have a chat. 

    4 Park St, Queenstown

    Phone: 03 442 6531


  • The Queenstown Lakes Community Housing Trust  (QLCHT) offers a range of housing support services.

    If you plan to be in the district for the longer term, we recommend signing up to their waiting list.  

  • If you need to find a place to live, Work and Income New Zealand may be able to help. Learn more about Public (social) Housing at MSD's Public Housing page or by calling 0800 559 009 to see if you qualify.

  • In tough times it can be hard to know how to feel or what to do.    Our Community Wellbeing page has lots of resources and practical tips to look after yourself and those around you who might be struggling.