The following two types of activities are exempt from the requirement to obtain resource consent.

Boundary Activities

Boundary activities relate to breaches of internal boundary setbacks and recession plane rules (height in relation to boundary).

Public boundaries e.g. with a road or a reserve, are exempt from Boundary Activities.  You can only apply for a Boundary Activity if your project does not require resource consent under any other District Plan rules or National Environmental Standards.

Where the landowners of the adjoining property(s) which relate to the infringed boundary have provided their written approval no further assessment is required and Council must issue a written notice confirming the boundary activity as deemed permitted.

To apply for this, you will need to complete the Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity application form and have the adjoining landowners complete the Affected Persons Approval for Permitted Boundary Activities form and sign all of the proposed plans.

Temporary or Marginal Activities

You cannot apply for a Temporary or Marginal Activity. However, for these activities, Council has discretion to determine whether a proposal is one of these activities and will consider doing so where the set requirements are clearly met. This is where a PIM check can assist.

Council may consider using this type of approval where your project is otherwise a permitted activity but has a temporary or marginal breach to a standard or rule in the District Plan. The effects must be the same scale, character or intensity as a permitted activity and any adverse effects on persons (eg. your neighbours) must be less than minor.

Where we are satisfied that a Deemed Permitted Marginal or Temporary notice is appropriate, and can be issued, we will let you know.