Queenstown Lakes entered the Orange Light level of the COVID-19 Protection Framework on 3 December 2021. Learn more about changes to Council services here.

Resource Consents

Whakaaetaka Rawa Taiao

A resource consent from QLDC is a written approval for you to carry out an activity that is not permitted as of right in the District Plan (a permitted activity) or that contravenes a rule, a site standard or a zone standard in the District Plan.

The process for granting a resource consent is governed by the Resource Management Act (RMA) and the district plan.

Types of resource consents When you need a resource consent How to get one Contact us

Types of resource consents

  • This applies to most resource consents. It includes things like constructing a building, undertaking an activity, running an event, carrying out earthworks, clearance of large areas of vegetation etc.

    Please note that some land use consents can be dealt with as fast track land use consent. This term applies to applications where they are a controlled activity land use and no other activity. A 10 day processing time applies to a fast track consent.

  • Subdividing land to create one or more additional lots or Unit Titles or altering a boundary.

  • Jetty construction and commercial activities like jet boat operating, fishing guiding, kayak hire/guiding.

    • Discharge consents are for discharges into air, water or onto land.

    • Coastal permits do not apply in our district.

    Both are managed by Otago Regional Council (ORC), not QLDC.


There are also two types of written notice for deemed permitted activities which came into effect with RLAA 2017.

  • This is where an otherwise permitted building or structure breaches a standard for the bulk and location of the building in relation to boundary. Where the owners of the infringed boundary have provided their written approval no further assessment is required and Council must issue a written notice confirming the boundary activity as deemed permitted.

  • This is where an otherwise permitted activity has a temporary or marginal breach to a standard or rule. The effects must be the same scale, character or intensity as a permitted activity and any adverse effects on persons must be less than minor. Council has discretion to use this process and will consider doing so where the set requirements are clearly met.

  • As a result of the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017 (RLAA 2017), changes to some resource consent processes came into effect from 18 October 2017. The main changes include:

    • Introducing deemed permitted activities for boundary activities or marginal or temporary activities

    • Introducing fast-track 10 day processing for controlled activity land use consents

    • Making changes to the notification processes

    The Ministry for the Environment website has guidance documents if you'd like more detail:


When you need a resource consent

  • A resource consent may be required for any proposed activity that relates to the use of land, subdivision, water, soil resources, the coast, air, pollution and noise control.

    For example, you may need a resource consent if you plan to:

    • Construct a new building

    • Change the use of a residential or commercial building

    • Undertake earthworks

    • Build a wharf or jetty, or place a mooring

    • Erect a sign

    • Run a large event

    • Take water other than for domestic use

    • Clear significant areas of vegetation

    • Build a bridge over a waterway

    • Discharge waste into water, into the air, or on to land.


How to get a resource consent

  1. Please take a look at the Resource Consent process page.

  2. Complete the correct application form in full and provide all of the necessary associated information. Details are on our Applications forms and fees page.

  3. Completed applications can be submitted online or you can email us at: resourceconsent@qldc.govt.nz  

Contact us

Stay up-to-date

Sign up to our newsletter Scuttlebutt and stay up-to-date with the latest news, events & information in the Queenstown Lakes District.