Suspected food poisoning

If you think you have food poisoning (symptoms may include, fever, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting) you should seek medical assistance and call Public Health South on 03 450 9156.

How does it work?

Public Health South will conduct an investigation to assess any risk factors and determine the source of the infection.

If you are a food handler you must advise your GP immediately. A faecal sample will be required to confirm whether there is a presence of a food poisoning organism and to identify which type of infection you have.

The Health Act 1956 lists certain infectious diseases that must be notified to the Medical Officer of Health who oversees public health in Otago. This allows authorities to watch for outbreaks and trends. The list includes diseases such as Salmonella and Campylobacter.

If you are diagnosed with a notifiable food poisoning infection, a Health Protection Officer will contact you for an interview to try to establish the source of your infection and to help you prevent further spread of the disease.

More information

Visit the following Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) food safety link for more information: 

For more information about communicable disease in New Zealand head to: